Syria Al-Assad is a drive-by typology of monuments and billboards erected to the greater honor of the Assad family, which has ruled Syria since 1971.
The photos themselves are deliberately devoid of political statements, in contrast to the design of the book. All the photos are on the right-hand page and each page has perforations, so it can be torn out. As a result the book resembles a tear-off calendar; text and image can be separated, images eliminated and the sequence adjusted.
The pictures show the dummy version of 2012.
* Dummy Award 2012, 5th Int. Photobook Festival.
* Dummy Award 2012, Unseen Photo Fair, Amsterdam.
* Young Book Designers Award 2013, Stiftung Buchkunst, Frankfurt/Main.
* German Photobook Award 2015.
* PHotoEspaña 2015 Best Photobook of the Year.
Spector Books Leipzig, 2014
130 pages / 65 colour photos / format: 235 × 300mm / soft cover
edition of 800
english translation of Arabic texts
Concept and design: Oliver Hartung / Typography: Helmut Völter
published in Foam Magazine, Issue #34, Prefix Photo # 28, 1814 Magazine #8, New York Times Lens